Monday, June 26, 2017

UniFi: Purchase & Setup Guide


Task at Hand


Guide anyone interested in the UniFi Network Stack for home or business based on my experience with the whole process

Personal Blurb


I have had an amazing experience with UniFi, starting with Ubiquiti support when asking for recommendations on a build for my house to implementing that suggested equipment

My Build


Router: UniFi Security Gateway (USG)

Cloud Management: UniFi Cloud Key

Switch: UniFi Switch 16 150W (POE+)

APs: UniFi AP AC LR (POE) x 3
 

My Build Out (Still needs some cleanup, but its getting there):
 


Note: I purchased all my equipment through Amazon because I'm a Prime member and they offer great discounts on this equipment

Let's get to Work!


I'd love to give ya'll a step by step guide on how to set this up at the house, but I truly can't and the reason why is because it is so damn easy!

I honestly would be insulting ya'll if I tried to instruct you on how to install the full stack.

The hardest part of the setup was running the physical cable from the Switch out to the APs and below is why that was a bit more difficult than I had expected. That is my kitchen after my Big Fella body fell thru it running my last strand of Cat6 in the attic.



It all turned out well and we were able to patch it and make it look brand new. All that being said, it was well worth even this because I love my UniFi setup!

Cool Features & Advantages (I've Found So Far...)


  • User Dashboard in General
    • This thing is just amazing & Beautiful! It provides the most info about my network that I have ever seen in any other product available to a Consumer
  • Deep Packet Inspection (DPI)
    • This will give you a very in depth look at each device and their inbound & outbound data

  • Clients List
    • Shows Clients on the network with a drill down to each network device and it's clients
  • Coverage Map
    • I know this isn't the most exciting feature in the world, but I though it was worth mentioning

No comments:

Post a Comment